Social Media Icons

Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Book Review: We Were The Lucky Ones

This book has been on my reading list for awhile  When this month was to be my turn to pick, I secretly hoped all the girls would choose this one from the options I proposed. 
I love period pieces. Doesn't really matter which period, but this book also hit a little closer to home. My maternal grandmother was first generation Polish-American. Her parents immigrated to the United States and she was born in Pittsburgh in 1932. 

When I was younger she showed me some of the letters she received from a cousin in Poland during World War II. As the war progressed my grandmother and her family heard less and less from her. 
It was my grandmother's dream to visit Poland and also find out what happened to her family member. 
Eventually, when I was about eight years old my grandmother and grandpa were able to make the trip. While they were able to see the town my grandmother's family was from, they were unable to find the missing cousin's grave or location. 
This book reminded me of her and her love for her family. The raw emotions the characters felt in war torn Poland reminds you that we are all human no matter the other things that may divide us. Throughout the novel you hang on the suspense of what will happen next to the Kurc family. As an American, it is so easy to get caught up  in the facts after the United States entered the war, but this book takes a deeper look into the catalysts that developed the war and its progression. 
This novel is a good reminder of how love can overcome fear and hatred. 
If you haven't picked up this book, it is a must! 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment